Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Greg Simon of Faster Cures

I can see the NIH from the roof of my house in Bethesda . . . (laughter)

When I look at the future of stem cell research, I ask the question WWSPD, and then do the opposite . . . (what would sarah palin do)

Talking about the efforts --all failed-- to redirect the Mississippi. We've been trying to redirect the river of stem cell research in this country for the last 8 years. In this analogy Bush and Coburn are the levies, and the research is the river.

We have a big problem, aside from all that. We live in a world that is not safe for collaboration . . . we must make some changes.

NIH--use money to reward collaboration
Researchers with deals with business
Diseases know no borders
We can't have every state building a moat around its knowledge
We can't afford to have every state or nation repeat what's already known

I talked with leaders of business and industry; I asked them what they had learned from the patients they're trying to help.

(dead silence)

That was their answer.

We need to hear you, advocates, patients, caregivers.

What a rabble-rouser! :)

No comments: